How To Clean a Mattress
How To Clean A Mattress
Before I talk about how to clean a mattress, I’ll discuss why you need to clean a mattress. If reading this is a bit too long, scroll down for all the tips on how to clean a mattress.
You don’t hesitate to clean the toilet at home, the bathrooms, bedrooms, kitchen, laundry etc., but do you clean your mattress?. I bet the answer is no. If you don’t then you need too. If you can’t be bothered, it’s all too hard, fine. Then you need a professional like Stain Busters Carpet Cleaning Gold Coast we are happy to do it for you.
There are a number of reasons why you need to keep your mattress clean.
Then there are the dust mites & bed bugs. Statistics are scary, there could be hundreds of these yucky things milling around among dried remnants of blood, saliva, sweat and basically all the other bodily fluids you can think of.
According to a report from the National Pest Management Association the problem is on the rise. Bedbugs are on the rise by up to 81 percent since 2000, the study said. Now here’s a scary statistic. 67% of surveyed pest management companies have treated bedbug infestations in hotels or motels. Looking forward to your next holiday in a Hotel or Motel? I’d like to think this isn’t the case, however the research has been done. Thankfully these statistics aren’t Australian, however I think it would be similar.
Even without these statistics, even if we were a society of only 5% not the 81%, after reading this post would you want to fall in the 5% category knowing all this?
A little bit about these unwanted visitors that might be sleeping with you. They are about a quarter-inch long and they eat at night, that’s right, when your sleeping, possibly in your bed. Yuk!!!!. Impressively, while humans can live only a matter of weeks without food, bedbugs can live up to one year without eating and their meals consist of blood. Gross!!!
It’s been said “they’re well-adapted to being a parasite, It’s really hard to starve them out.”
Bedbugs, which leave behind itchy bite marks can even lead to allergic reaction in some people. But wait, there is more horrible news, they aren’t the only pests that could be lurking beneath your pillow!!!!
Thankfully, it’s been reported that only 10% of people are sensitive to house dust mites, however again I say why would anyone want to be a statistic in this post. Now if your a asthma sufferer it’s worse!!! Sorry!.
As if the presence of microscopic eight-legged vermin weren’t gross enough, consider that it’s not the mites that cause some people to cough and sneeze. It’s their excrement. Are you still feeling it’s ok not to clean your mattress.
HOW TO CLEAN A MATTRESS
Okay enough reading? Disgusted you enough? If this is a problem, consider trying some of the following:
- strip the bed and throw your linens into the wash.
- Wash and dry your mattress pad first, then the sheets, and finally your bedspread or whatever you have
- Check the manufacturer’s labels first and use the hottest water and dryer heat setting allowed since heat will kill dust mites in your bedding.
- While the washer and dryer are doing their thing, turn your attention to the mattress.
- Vacuum your mattress. Start at the very top of your mattress and work your way down overlapping. Try in narrow paths and then vacuum the sides of your mattress the same way. It might appear clean here but trust me you would want to do it there as well.
- Now deodorize the mattress. Although we don’t usually notice our own bodily smells, over time sweat can build up and lead to an unmistakable funky aroma. To rid your mattress of such a nasty smell, sorry!, , sprinkle it well with baking soda and rub it in with a scrub brush so it gets into the mattress fabric where the stink lives. Add a few drops of essential oil if you would like a nicer smell. Lavender is often considered a sleeping aid. Let the baking soda sit for 10 minutes
- Here we go again. Time to vacuum it again! By scrubbing the baking soda into your mattress you’ve helped it bond with moisture and body oils in the mattress material. Vacuuming it a second time pulls that moisture out, along with the cause of the odors.
- Now to get the stains out. Blood, urine, vomit refer our website www.stainbustersgoldcoast.com.au
- Now time to flip the mattress. Innerspring or coil mattresses should be flipped side-to-side and top-to-bottom weekly for the first three months of ownership, then quarterly after that. Maybe use a permanent marker and wrote in small letters: “Winter/Summer” on one end of the mattress, and “Spring/Autumn” on one side. Just an idea so you remember.
- Now here we go again!! Time to repeat the cleaning process above after flipping your mattress
- Now your nearly at the finishing line. Since cleaning a mattress is such a daunting task, it might be easier to just get Stain Busters Cleaning Systems Gold Coast to do the cleaning for you.
I think you would agree with me in saying people really don’t give a lot of thought and energy into proper mattress care.
So again I say, why not now do something about it, either yourself or us, Stain Busters Carpet Cleaning Gold Coast. It really can improve not only the quality of sleep but also reduce the chances of having mites and infestations of bedbugs.
Now this isn’t going to make a lot of Pet People happy. Be a little cautious about letting outdoor pets on the bed. Other kinds of vermin such as lice and scabies can get into the mattress as well, although they are less common than mite and bedbug problems.
If you would like Stain Busters Cleaning Systems to do the cleaning of a mattress for you give us a call. Pricing is as follows: how to
- $55 for a King Size Bed
- $45 for a Queen Size Bed
- $35 for a Single Size Bed how to clean a mattress
minimum charge $95.
WARNING: NEVER that means NEVER, use any product that contains bleach, chlorine or peroxide as it will remove colour.
Disclaimer. It is advised that you use these suggestions entirely at your own risk. The remedies contained herein, in every aspect should be tested in a safe manner, in an inconspicuous area of the mattress before proceeding with a full application. In some instances unpredictable reactions can occur once a product has been applied to a stain of a known or unknown origin.
Our services include:
Carpet Cleaning, Rug Cleaning, Fabric Protection, Water Damage Restoration, Upholstery Cleaning, Carpet Stain Release, Tile & Grout Cleaning, Odour Removal, Mattress Cleaning, Leather Cleaning, Stain Removal
Please don’t hesitate to call us on 1300 078 246 for more information on stains.